Departing from your hotel, we travel in Cabs4Rome’s comfortable vehicles to the region of Tuscany to take a relaxing trip to explore the area and its rich history, from castles and medieval villages to stone farmhouses, surrounded by hills and vineyards, all ingredients for a great trip.
|Siena and S. Gimignano|
Duration: 12 hours
|500 €||500 €||550 €||550 €|
|Each hour extra||35 €|
San Gimignano, the first stop on the tour, is recognizable from a few kilometers away with its 13 towers from the twelfth and thirteenth centuries that stand out against the sky and whose unique profile leaves an everlasting image in visitors’ memories.
It is said that in the fourteenth century there were 72 of these towers, at least one for every wealthy family. Their purpose was to show, through their great construction, the families’ economic power. However, after 1348, when San Gimignano became subjected to Florentine rule, the city no longer maintained such economic and demographic heights.
Today, millions of tourists come from all over the world to admire this UNESCO world heritage site, where the Middle Ages are “frozen in time”. In addition to the famous towers you can see the Duomo, Palazzo del Popolo, Palazzo del Podesta, and the church of St. Augustine. Above all, however, you can walk along the main road and visit artisan shops or food and wine bars where you can taste the Vernaccia, a famous local wine.
We then moving along the stretch between San Gimignano and Siena on via Francigena, the main road that, prior to the eleventh century, connected the northwest of France with Rome and was used by merchants and travelers of all kinds, especially pilgrims going to Rome, until we will arrive at our second stop, Monteriggioni. Here, still survives one of the road’s oldest rest areas: the Abbey of San Salvatore at Abbadia a Isola, where we too will stop for lunch in a typical restaurant.
Finally, we go on to discover the magnificent city of Siena, a mixture of narrow streets and charming squares where you can do urban trekking. Since 2002, this new route allows you to experience this city of art from a new perspective.
The itinerary that we recommend covers the most significant places of Siena and allows you to get a general idea of this UNESCO heritage town. From the Basilica of San Domenico, where the remains of St. Catherine lay, we follow the path of the great medieval Siena to get to the Duomo, a superb example of Gothic architecture where Michelangelo, Donatello and Pisano left their works and the Pediment where you can enjoy a wonderful view over the Chianti valley.
The obvious conclusion to your trip will be the famous Piazza del Campo that, with its unique shape, seems to embrace guests and invite them to remember the experience of their trip over time. On one side stands the Palazzo Pubblico, with the Torre del Mangia, a 98 meter high bell tower, the second highest in Italy. It is this very place where the famous horse race known as the Palio takes place every 2nd of July and 16th of August. This traditional event involves the entire city with parades of the various districts of the city with pages, drummers, flag bearers and the characteristic riders all wearing traditional costumes.
• Departure from your hotel in Rome
• Travel time to Siena is around 2 hours and 30 minutes
• Driver is available if needed (hourly rate separately)
• Return to Rome can be arranged according to your requirements (price to be agreed upon for the return)
- Service Available: daily, all year round
- Our drivers speak ENGLISH - SPANISH
- Prices are all inclusive and are per vehicle (not per person)
- Prices include all taxes, insurance, tolls, fuel and parking.
- Tips are not mandatory however if you were satisfied with the service they are appreciated.
- For services between 10:00 pm and 06:00 am (night) we charge a 20% supplement
- The easiest way to book your transfer is through the secure online booking form. Upon receipt of your request we will send you a booking confirmation by e-mail. Payments can be made directly with the driver at the end of the service in cash Euro, Dollars or credit card (Visa and Master Card), or if you prefer Book your transfer and pay ahead of time with PayPal for a small additional commission of 5%.